While people do not normally spend a large chunk of time in the bathroom, they spend intimate moments in there. People normally start and end their daily activities inside a bathroom so they might as well give due importance to this particular part of the house.
A bathroom needs to project luxury and comfort in order to set the mood of the day or night. Getting the best bathroom design ideas will go a long way in making the bathroom a comfortable and luxurious part of the house and everyday living.
People can choose a bathroom with a lot of space or one that is just right for the basic necessities of a bathroom. But large or small, we have to give due importance to the basic components of a bathroom.
We have to consider the color shade of the floor and the walls as well as the storage areas. We also have to decide on what kind of sink to use, where to place the mirrors, and whether to use glass shower doors or shower curtains.
The following are some of the most popular bathroom design ideas:
- Contemporary - A bathroom can have any size and any shape but fixtures emphasize lines rather than curves. Rectangular tubs and sinks have plain, instead of ornate, fittings that are made of brushed or matte chrome. Wood and stone give way to glass and mirror, metal, and ceramic. There is a very minimal use of wood.
- Colonial - The emphasis is on workmanship and details, with an excessive use of wood in mirror frames, panels, and trimmings. Fittings of brass or copper match the finery of the wood.
- Minimalist - Curves are emphasized and lights are vital while fittings are discrete in creating the impression of space and luxury. Cool colors such as blue, mauve, and pastel, with the discrete use of dark colors for outlines or edges give the impression of space.
- Victorian - To look authentic, the bathroom needs high ceilings, central light fitting, and tall narrows windows with lacy curtains. A ball and claw bathtub with black painted iron faucets and accessories complete the picture of elegance and luxury.
- Country - Soft monochromatic colors are used with emphasis on details. The bathroom contains hand-made mats, baskets and pottery, embroidered towels and murals or tiles with homey designs such as flowers and plants. Expect to see home-made soaps and herbal toiletries.
- Eclectic - It is characterized by a mixture of styles but characterized by a good sense of balance. Overdoing the designs can ruin everything so make sure to temper the features and fixtures.
- Ethnic - Design in the bathroom could reflect the ethnicity of the owner of the house. Basic designs reflecting one's ethnic origin can include art or artifacts, including the ethnic basic colors.
- Arty - The flat surfaces of the bathroom, like the walls, floor, and ceilings can be designed with wild and wonderful colors and shapes, projecting a realistic or impressionist mural.
- Traditional - It incorporates small square tiles and print floral pattern wallpapers in subdued colors. The lighting is intimate and the fittings are visible, making an ornate part of the decoration.
Whatever design idea you incorporate in your bathroom, it must be able to reflect the mood that you want. This can easily be accomplished by choosing the proper color and lighting to match the lines or curves, including the decorations that you have selected.